Monday, February 4, 2008

Day 1 - Goodbye NZ, Hello Melbourne

Well as expected the airport farewell was pretty horrible. But it was nice to have a bunch of people there that obviously care about me to have sacraficed a few hours sleep to get up at such an ungodly hour to see me off.
After watching the inflight movie "Into the Wild" I'm feeling rather adventurous, although I do hope my trip doesn't come to such a tragic end and it's unlikely that you'll see me burning my hard earned cash any time soon.
Coming through customs in Melbourne I somehow managed to attract the attention of a 40 something year old scruffy Aussie bloke who, after I'd declined his invitation for a coffee, insisted on giving me his address to go visit him or at least write to him. Was an interesting welcome to the country I must say!
The rest of the day was spent wandering the city exploring all the different lanes, sometimes coming across ones I had visited with Mum and Dad a year prior. I even lunched at one place that we had been to which was playing Fat Freddies which was a lovely way to ease me into being weaned off NZ.
A little jem that I stumbled across was a place called "Little Cupcake" which is pretty self explanatory but it was just adorable, not to mention delicious. I think I could've stayed there all day but the rain eased so twas time to explore a bit more and check out some exhibitions.
After some initial doubt as to wether I was going to be able to, I finally managed to get a hold of cousin Marlee and so my first night was spent as planned, at the cuzzies place about a half hour out of the city.

No comments:

The travel diary of a kiwi gal who loves to spread her wings and explore the globe