Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day 5 - Crossing the Globe

Twas my last day in Melbourne which meant bidding farewell to my gracious hosts and setting off to the city to meet up with Nealesh.
Really we just did some more wandering together but did manage to find the best graf art lane so plenty of photo ops for us there. Nealesh kindly walked me back to the Southern cross station where I boarded the Airbus and waved farewell to him and the city that I still adore second time round.
The prospect of a 9 hour flight was not something I was looking forward to but it didn't seem to drag too badly at all. This could have been helped by the fact that the seats next to me were blocked out AGAIN so I could lay out across all three, and I think the sleeping pills did the trick nicely too.
Arriving in Bangkok I was determined NOT to get ripped off by the taxi drivers so I did as recommended by some and ignored the offers of drivers on the below level and headed upstairs. A family hopping out of a cab recommended it so that was good enough for me. In the end I think it came to about 260 bahts which is what my Hostel had said it would cost so being so happy to have not been ripped off I tipped him, giving him 300.
Driving into the city was all I'd expected it to be really, dirty, chaotic, sticky and smoggy. But it's just what you have to expect and enjoy from a S.E.A city really.
My hostel was just how it'd been described in the reviews clean and quiet most importantly which was just the ticket for a sleepy Tui.

No comments:

The travel diary of a kiwi gal who loves to spread her wings and explore the globe