Saturday, February 16, 2008

Day 13 - Mountain Biking

Another fairly early start as today was the day I was to go Mountain Biking. The route I'd chosen to take was the Old Smugglers Route down Doi Suthep mountain into the Samoeng Valley. The group of riders consisted of three others, two from England, and one from France. They were old family friends so conversed in French amongst themselves 90% of the time so I had no idea what they were saying about anything. Made me want to learn another language even more!
The other three had no experience in Mountain Biking before so we took the easy route most of the way down. This suited me fine as at two points we got the option of trying the harder trail and the first time I fell off twice and the second I had to hope off for two sections of it. This was mainly due to being on an unfamiliar bike and the brakes being reverse to what they are at home so I kept almost tipping over front ways due to grabbing the front brake too hard. Scary!
We did 25 kms of downhill and then about 10km back into town. The second leg of the trip was the hardest part even though it was flat but it was just SO hot! We eventually made it to where our guide wanted to take us for lunch which was at the university cafeteria. It was delicious but this was probably largely due to the fact that we were all starving by this point.
Upon arriving back at the hostel I was in desperate need of a dip in the pool and then Collum, the only remaining trekker, joined me to wander the Night Bazaar markets where I finally found a nice Coach watch and a singlet as surprisingly, I didn't bring enough of them! We shared a final dinner and drink together before calling it a night as the days exercise had caught up with me well and truly.

1 comment:

Simon said...

nice bloggin work! :)

I found it funny how so many of the experiences you write about are those I have experienced myself - the transport, the heat, the food service, the meeting people...all good traveller stuffs hehe.

hope your legs are back to normal after all the riding!

The travel diary of a kiwi gal who loves to spread her wings and explore the globe