Thursday, February 7, 2008

Day 6 - Bangkok's sights and smells

To be honest, I was actually quite scared of venturing out of my room, which wasn't helped when I finally did attempt to go downstairs, I couldn't for the life of me find the stairs to get down there! I was beginning to feel like a right fool but eventually stopped being a wimp and asked someone so managed to make it down in time for the complimentary fruit, muffins and toast. I was still too wimpy to chat to anyone though.
Next step was venturing out past the confines of the hostel into the real world. I started things off fabulously with getting on the Sky Train, Train and Boat Cruise along the river without any hiccups.
I made my way to the Emerald Buddha which was interesting for about 10 minutes but managed to get lost amongst the various buildings so didn't escape for another half hour or so.
Outside I asked a security guard for directions to the Grand Palace but he told me I couldn't go in because I didn't have covered shoes on. He then proceeded to show me other places on my map which were good places to see and explained I should get a taxi for 100 baht to take me around. Also most importantly he insisted was that I go and book my flight for Chang Mai asap. So off I went with a taxi to book Chang Mai which I ended up getting swizzed pretty much even though I was very wary but it was hard to know since I hadn't had a chance to research options at all. Also it is the Chinese New Year at the moment which means things are more booked up than usual. No matter.
After booking flights the driver too me to a buddha but I didn't enjoy the experience at all as was completely paranoid after the booking Chang Mai experience. It didn't help that the driver stopped and said "one minute" as he text someone before opening my door and then someone appeared to show me the buddha. Another guy then appeared telling me about and then "recommended" a tailor I must see. My driver caught wind of this and even after I protested saying I didn't want clothes he pretty much forced me to go in "just for 5 minutes". So I obliged and feigned interest for a few minutes before high tailing it out of there.
Next off was Golden Mount which was ok but not quite the Grand Palace I'm sure. I made some noises about being hungry to my "helpful" driver who suggested a seafood place which sounded fine so he dropped me off there and took his 100 baht happily, thank god! Turned out the seafood place was way overpriced so I exited there pretty quick, even despite the three wait staff hovering over me awaiting a decision. Proud of me mum?
Sadly being so late in the afternoon and being weak at the knees, literally, I ended up succumbing to an a/c mall and eating some Japanese gyoza. Pretty disappointing of me for my first real meal in Thailand.
Excuse any spelling mistakes etc in these posts, have just done them all so that am more up to date so trying to rush. Hopefully they make sense!

No comments:

The travel diary of a kiwi gal who loves to spread her wings and explore the globe