Saturday, February 23, 2008

Day 21 - Muay Thai

Basically our day consisted of sleeping till the afternoon, lying on the beach, swimming and just having a whole lot of laughs together. Nothing too different to how I'd spent almost every day so far on the island.
In the evening though we felt that we had to DO something so we ventured into Thong Sala for a delicious Thai BBQ and then somehow I agreed to go along to the Muay Thai Boxing. When in Rome I suppose. Well at first it was kids who were all of 10 years old and that was pretty disturbing seeing how seriously they took the fighting. No blood was shed thankfully. As the 7 fights went on, each got progressively "better". The second to last fight actually had a New Zealand guy in it so I had to be patriotic in backing him but he was not a Thai boxer at all as barely could do kicks or knees at all which is what it's all about over here. So not surprisingly he didn't win the fight so I had to buy a beer for the Thai guy next to me who I'd bet against.
It was quite an experience I have to say with a pumping atmosphere and just seeing how amazingly fit and agile those boxers are was a real eye opener. It is not surprising that Niall got annihilated those few nights before by the Thai guys in Haad Rin!

No comments:

The travel diary of a kiwi gal who loves to spread her wings and explore the globe