Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 20 - Failed Adventure


I'd decided instead of driving with Nico and Kelly to the beach we were headed for the day, that I'd walk instead which meant having to get up nice and early and get a head start of them being a 4 hour walk compared to a 20 minute drive. It was well worth the early start as I got to see the sunrise from our apartment balcony which is always a good start to the day.
The first part of my walk went well with it not being too hot and getting stunning views back along the coast and down into the next cove which was populated with hippie huts and paths leading in every which direction to either huts or stone constructions they'd erected for reasons that weren't always obvious. Anyway, the paths lead to some confusion as to which was the way to go meaning I went round in circles for a while before I thought I'd finally found the right one. Unfortunately it didn't work out that way, after an hour or more of scrabbling my way over rocks around a headland I realised the path I was following in fact lead to a hut in a cave and not around to the next bay. Despite all my determination to not admit defeat, I reasoned that the extra hour or more of walking I'd have added to my walk meant me doing the full walk wasn't really a smart move so I had to turn back and settle for joining Nico and Kelly on the drive around instead. I did end up doing about 3 hours of walking so it wasn't a bad effort after all and the sunrise and views made it worth the effort. I'm just determined to complete it when we go back there next time!
The beach was another "top 10" and you could certainly see its potential but unfortunately there was a nasty wind blowing along the beach which meant sunbathing wasn't all that enjoyable as you'd get pelted with a cloud of sand every 30 seconds or so. We stuck it out for a few hours but in the end gave up, mainly because we knew we had a swimming pool waiting for us at the B&B we'd booked for the night.
Our B&B was in a wee town a few k's out of Las Palas, and when I say a wee town there were about half a dozen houses in it. We were certainly happy to have a pool as it felt like we were in the middle of the desert with swarms of flies and all.
Trying to find somewhere to eat in a neighbouring 'big' town proved to be near impossible and we ended up being dreaded English tourists and going to a restaurant run by English expats. We did have an enjoyable evening however, enjoying suitably English things like cider and sticky date pudding.

No comments:

The travel diary of a kiwi gal who loves to spread her wings and explore the globe