Saturday, March 1, 2008

Day 27 - 5 Hours of Being a Fish

More videos were first on the menu and then we all sat the exam which is all pretty simple stuff really. Next up we were to go in the water but no scuba gear just yet, first off a 200m swim out to a buoy and back and then a 10 minute float which we all did no worries. Finally it was time for some underwater action so in the pool we all went and that is where we spent the next 5 hours mastering all the different dive skills and techniques needed. I was a complete prune by the time we got out of the water at about 7pm.
A bunch of us from the group went out for dinner on Sai Ree beach before heading to 'the' bar of Sai Ree, Lotus Bar. As usual the buckets were the end of us, all of us going completely overboard, myself not making it to sleep till 4am ish. Not the wisest thing to do the night before your first ever open water dive.
I also managed to lose my jandals at some point, possibly while one of the Norwegian guys Richard twirled me about on the sand as we danced to the live Australian guitarist. I was pretty gutted to lose them as they'd been my faithfulls for a year or so and I'd been so proud of myself to have kept mine while the Irish guys were forever coming back from a night out jandalless or with a different pair to what they left with. Oh well, an excuse to buy something new I guess!

No comments:

The travel diary of a kiwi gal who loves to spread her wings and explore the globe