Thursday, November 22, 2007

Baby vs Big Daddy

Ever since leaving school four years ago I've been working for the same people, slowly making my way up the ranks, beginning as Receptionist, then Secretary, then Loans Officer and now a Loans Analyst. I think I’ve handed in my notice about 4 times and each time have been lured into staying by offers of more money, more responsibility, telling me to properly think through my decision (see number 3. in Duh!) or all of the above. Next time will be the last time though; no amount of money or responsibility can make me stay this time.

Anyway, what I’m getting to is that not long ago the little sized company, never having had more than about 8 employees, was sold to a big daddy sized company. This meant the little baby boutique that I’d come to know and love was to merge into becoming a side cog of an already big, well oiled machine. Once upon a time I think I would have been excited about working for a big company but that was before I knew big companies tend to come with big rules and regulations that dampen the excitement somewhat.

Here is a list (because in case you didn’t already know, I like lists) of some pro’s of working for both small and big companies, at least in my limited experience anyway:

Pro’s of working for a little baby boutique company:

  • You get your own office compared to being shoved in a cubby hole so small you bang chairs with the person next to you if you move back at the same time
  • You can personalize your desktop picture instead of having black nothingness
  • You can save shortcuts/documents to your desktop that won’t disappear every time you log off and on
  • ALL internet sites are accessible
  • Speakers on your computer are allowed
  • USB ports on your computer are actually usable
  • Your computer has a CD drive
  • The view from your desk is of the Auckland harbour rather than a grey divider
  • Your bosses actually know you on a personal level
  • It’s fine to email asking for leave a few days before rather than sending in leave applications with up to four weeks notice

Pro’s of working for a big daddy company:

  • There are morning teas for someone’s birthday almost weekly
  • On your birthday you get shouted a cake compared to having to shout the staff morning tea
  • IT staff are on site most of the week
  • Gold Coast is the Christmas function venue
  • There are more than 3 people at Friday drinks
  • There is more than just Chardonnay to drink on a Friday
  • Team building events involve going out sailing for the afternoon

I will however concede that I was pretty fortunate in getting to work for such awesome people at the small co. And I suppose the big daddy co is not really as gruff and mean as it may seem.

No comments:

The travel diary of a kiwi gal who loves to spread her wings and explore the globe